9.19.2013

About this Blog: Motivation

Are you the type person who absolutely hates working out? Like, the thought of jogging causes a visceral reaction coupled with a gut-wrenching pull in the pit of your stomach?

Don't worry, you're not the only one.

Lots of people despise sweat, pain, and the thought of looking "stupid" in front of fitness fanatics at the gym.

http://media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/b8/6c/19/b86c196a8a355baafe401d30e1cc5878.jpg
While I can't quite relate to the pure hatred of the activity itself, I can relate to the idea of being extremely unmotivated about hitting the gym and putting in some hard-earned blood, sweat, and tears for the day. 

 On the other hand, I believe exercise should be seen in a positive light. Being active and taking health and fitness classes in high school as well as college have made me realize that exercising as a chore should not be something we do. Instead, exercise should be something that we do that's fun and exhilarating; something we do in our spare time because we want to. Plus, there are so many benefits to exercising that I can't even begin to name them all here.

So, what do I propose for those of us who can't quite get to the "love" stage with our exercise relationship?

Motivation. It's all you really need. Let's find ways to trick our brains into making us love an exhilarating workout.  And after all is said and done, let's get excited about the next time we go to the gym, go for a walk/jog/run around the neighborhood, or pop in that workout tape and rock some '80s aerobics like no one's business.

Why not transform our bodies and have fun doing it? It shouldn't be seen as a chore or a task that you begrudgingly do because you know you should do it.

We are all learning what works for us, personally. So, feel free to comment your own thoughts about why you hate working out. We can work on motivational solutions together.

8 comments:

  1. I'm excited to hear about your ideas for motivation. For months each night my husband and I have said, "tomorrow we will start working out" but we never actually get started. We have nice work out equipment at home that we never use. It's just the lack of motivation feels too overwhelming.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A agree with you wholeheartedly. Motivation is all anyone needs because taking that initial step is the hardest. I can speak from experience. One day I just got on a bike, and then started riding everyday, and all it took was a little motivation to get going.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Blake, we should all just stop thinking about it and DO IT :) We won't regret it in the longrun!

      Delete
  3. I am definitely one of those people who is extremely unmotivated to work out. Although I stay active, actually setting aside a time to work out never seems to happen. I look forward to reading your blog and learning some new tips to get motivated. What helps motivate you? Was there ever a time when you did hate working out?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There was never really a time that I absolutely hated exercise. I've always been sort of a "fitness guru," but I have had my extremely unmotivated moments.

      One of the things that helps motivate me is new music and an upbeat playlist on my phone. That way, when I put my earphones in, I am ready to move!

      Delete
  4. The big factor for me is THINKING about doing the workout. :) That is when it is hardest for me to get motivated. Once I get out my yoga mat, put on some calm and realaxing music, all that fades away and I look forward to living a healthy lifestyle with my loved ones for a long time to come.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Was it just me or did anyone else laugh out loud after reading the captions to the above pictures? I have been personally told that I run like Woody from Toy Story. I was told that in middle school and the comment hasn't left me since. :) I don't think it's true. However, I'm sure I do look odd at the gym because I tend to stare at the gym rats out of sheer amazement. Then, I quickly look away after they catch me staring. As far as motivation goes, having an i-pod and staying hydrated really helps.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Motivation is something that I really need to work on. I look forward to reading your ideas about having fun while exercising. I think if we can make working out fun and something we look forward to, it won't be hard to get into the habit of doing it often! I can't wait to read more about what you think on this topic.

    ReplyDelete