10.12.2013

Health Tip Tuesdays

Being motivated to work out can, a lot of the time, stem from the food you eat. Think about it: if you eat a brownie and drink a can of pop, are you going to want to get up and run a mile? Probably not. Now think about this: You eat an apple and drink a bottle of water. You're probably going to want to make healthier life decisions, like going for a run, after the apple and bottle of water.

Now, I'm not saying that we all have to go on some fad diet and be 100% health conscious 24/7. There are so many misconceptions about dieting and weight loss and calorie intake that need to be abolished from our fitness and health mindset. However, I am suggesting that just because you exercise, it does not give you the right to eat anything you want. There are certain vitamins and nutrients that your body needs in order to have a healthy metabolism. By giving your body the right foods, you are increasing the amount of energy you will have during the day. This energy is what you need in order to have the motivation to exercise.

So here it is, ladies and gentlemen. Introducing "Health Tip Tuesdays." On Tuesday every week, it is my aim to find some kind of health tip or suggestion that is helpful in aiding your motivation for exercise. (You can provide your own health tips as well in a comment below!)

This week: Cravings

We all crave something. Mine is consistently chocolate. I crave it all the time. But did you know that our bodies crave certain foods because we are lacking something that that food has in it? Let's take sweets as a general category for an example. If you are craving sweets, that means that you're probably lacking Chromium (helps regulate blood sugar), Phosphorus (helps skeletal development), Sulfur (helps prevent chronic illnesses), or Tryptophan (helps balance nitrogen levels which repair lean muscle tissue). Some healthy alternatives for sweets that contain these essential nutrients are: Broccoli, sweet potatoes, cranberries, grapes, chicken, and eggs.

Want to know which healthful foods can replace your cravings? I found this extremely helpful (originally posted by freeformfitness.ca/blog):
 

2 comments:

  1. What a great insight into cravings. I really didn't think substituting would curb certain cravings. I just assumed you had to exert iron steel willpower to tough it out.

    Your chart was helpful and informative, but the PMS lady looks like she could be my next feature at my horror camp blog. Disturbing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that our exercise stems from the foods we eat. When I start off the day with eggs or yogurt then I'm ready to do my workout later. Those times I start off with something with more sugar I feel sluggish throughout the day. The list above gives hope to satisfying certain cravings but I wonder if the dark chocolate craving could be satisfying.... something to try I guess. Thanks for the list it's very insightful.

    ReplyDelete